Monday 4 February 2013

DUMPED BY A BITCH, ADOPTED BY THE HIGHWAY

I had begun to master the bike. I had done some stupid tricks and taken unnecessary risks too. I paid the price in scratches on the bike and bruises on my body. One thing i was sure of though, that this beauty was built for much greater deeds. So i decided to take it on long rides on the highway. Initially, it was not more than 40 kms and always with a more experienced partner on the pillion  The going was good, until one day, the unthinkable happened.
No, it wasn't an accident on the bike. It was on a personal and emotional level. A girl, YES A GIRL, dumped me unceremoniously. I was crushed and went into depression. I realized why they call it a heart break.
I had heard about this place called Bylukuppe, on way to Coorg. It was a Tibetean settlement. I had heard about the peace and tranquility of the place. I hoped that it would be the cure for me. I informed my parents that i was heading on a short tour, alone, and will be back by evening. I left early, and reached the place by afternoon. I sat, watched the monks pray and from out of nowhere, i felt a sudden peace envelope me. Basking in tranquility, i headed out to the parking where i saw the board. COORG AHEAD.
Till this day, i do not know what happened in that moment. But a few hours later, i found myself in Coorg. It was as if some divine force possessed my bike and it drove itself. I refueled once i reached the top and found myself staring at the road below at Raja's seat. I struck a conversation with a guy over there, and soon, he was my unofficial and unpaid tourist guide. Coincidentally, even he had gone through a heart break. We bonded instantly, or you could call it bromance. We had a great conversation while exploring ancient forts and ruins, just like our love lives.
We eventually parted ways and i was on my way back home. I did stop periodically to ask for directions and even picked up a guy who asked a lift till Mysore. "Hop on" i said, and even treated him at Cafe Coffee Day. The country bugger was shocked that a coffee costs 50 bucks! But he was grateful for the lift. I reached home at 8 pm.
A gang of bikers, 8 of them, were shocked when i told them that i am from Mysore and i have no company, when they overtook me at Coorg. They were right. Only a crazy person, or one lost in love,would drive all the way to Coorg, solo and back to Mysore. I had even dozed off, temporarily, while driving back. I had pushed my bike and my body to its limits.
This incident was the starting point of many more bike adventures, especially solo ones. Not once have i met with an accident nor crashed. I have always made it back intact, with the bike. I guess i have a guardian angel, and have been adopted by the highway.

3 comments: